Symptoms of TMD include:
- Pain in the jaw area
- Pain, ringing, or stuffiness in the ears
- Frequent headaches or neck aches
- Clicking or popping sound when the jaw moves
- Muscle spasms in the jaw area
- A change in the alignment of top and bottom teeth
- Locked jaw or limited opening of the mouth
If you notice that you are experiencing any of these symptoms, let us know at your next appointment. Dr. Gupta can help determine if you have TMD and create a customized treatment plan to help relieve your symptoms.
Is all jaw pain is associated with TMD?
If you believe you might have TMD, it is worthwhile to see your dentist and have an exam. However, not all jaw pain is associated with TMD, and if you do not have TMD, you can take many other preventive steps to maintain a healthy, strong smile.
- Relax your face — “Lips together, teeth apart”
- Avoid grinding your teeth
- Avoid all gum chewing
- Don’t cradle the phone receiver between your head and shoulder — either use a headset or hold the receiver to your ear with your hand
- Chew food evenly on both sides of your mouth
- Do not sit with your chin rested on your hand
- Practice good posture — keep your head up, back straight, and shoulders squared
Many people get TMD without ever having braces. Symptoms usually wax and wane regardless of whether braces are worn. If you are experiencing any of the symptoms listed above and are concerned that you might be a candidate for TMD treatment, please contact our office for a consultation.